Friday, July 8, 2011

Casey Anthony..what really does beyond a reasonable doubt mean?

So, like previously stated, I have been following the Casey Anthony trial  ever since someone (Ashley George) got me hooked on it. Sadly, I didn't get hooked on it until the prosecution had finished presenting their case and the defense had started presenting their case (which, by the way, I am not really sure I could tell you what the defense's case was)

That being stated, here are my thoughts about the whole thing (it should be said that I am a newbie to anything having to do with the law, this is my first trial to watch, my only experience is the many Law and Orders tv shows that I have seen--if that counts):

-to be honest, before I started following the trial I didn't know much about it, I probably could have been a juror because I knew so little...that being said, it didn't take me much time to have an opinion that Casey killed her daughter (It will be fair to say some of this could have been due to the bias of the media, but for the most part I think I tried to stay neutral--I think)
-it was unfortunate that the cause of death couldn't be determined because it seems that reason alone potentially held a lot of weight for the jurors, which begs the questions, do you have to know the cause of death to prove murder beyond a reasonable doubt?
-the closing statements "sealed the deal for me" so to say, I just felt the prosecution made it so clear for the jurors and I would have no problem relying on the circumstantial evidence to find Casey guilty of first degree murder

-when the verdict actually came back I was babysitting Haley and she was playing around me with all of her toys and I couldn't even move at first when she wasn't found guilty of anything except giving false testimony to the police (which is like HUGE! while she was lying to the police all of the evidence that the jurors needed to convict her was decomposing and going through a hurricane), and then once the initial shock had ended I tried to resume playing with Haley, but that was hard to do because I was so stunned and filled with so much emotion that it was hard to continue to play with Haley (sorry Hula Hoop)

-as the rest of the world started to voice their opinion on the case it was evident that a majority of people felt the way I did, even people who would have voted not guilty still thought she was guilty (just not convinced by the evidence--which seemed to be the opinion of the jurors), this is just really (I don't know the right word) unfair, and it's like the prosecution gets blamed for not doing a "good enough" job even though everyone knows she's guilty!

-i would never blame the jurors or criticize them (but I can disagree with their decision) because I do believe we have the greatest justice system in the world, but like anything else our system isn't perfect, and (unfortunately) "justice" is not going to be served for every victim; that being said, I don't think our system really "fails" us unless an innocent person gets convicted

-the biggest question that I have after all of this is what is the legal definition of beyond a reasonable doubt because (depending on who was asked) their seemed to be several definitions of it; so maybe in the future this definition should be addressed so that everyone is on the same page

All in all it is time to move on. I have been emotionally invested in this case for sometime now and (although I am not happy with the verdict) I am glad that I can now move on with my life (I've missed you SportsCenter). In the end the only judge that matters is God, and he knows what happened to little Caylee...so don't worry, JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED

over and out,
kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment