Thursday, July 21, 2011

Moderation

You know that saying "everything in moderation"

Well I have decided that I need to apply this little saying to all aspects of my life...therefore I have decided what my resolution will be for this year (better late than never..right?)


(unfortunately) I have this habit of having a laser focus when it comes to my interests and not remembering to look at the bigger picture (i.e. getting my priorities in order)


Now, for the most part, I haven't considered this problem of mine to be too much of a concern, actually to be quite honest I sometimes consider it a blessing and believe it to be a main factor in the reason that, up to this point, I have done very well in school. During the school year, I have an obsession when it comes to getting my work done (I'm a big dork, I like learning...and getting good grades:) I sometimes get so caught up in my school work that I have to remember if I have eaten lunch or try and remember when was the last time I worked out (but then again, if I am eating less then I can workout less..right?!).

But, like I said, I can usually let this obsession with school slide because it is obviously serving me well, but what I can't let slide is my obsession with non academic things, for example:

  I like to do jigsaw puzzles... A LOT. So much so, that once I start a puzzle it is really hard for me to do anything (and I mean anything) else until I finish that puzzle ( at which time I normally want to start another one). This is a bit ridiculous, and the reason why I have to limit myself to only doing puzzles during breaks from school.

 During the Casey Anthony trial I did very little from 9-5 on Mondays-Saturdays, and if I was doing anything (like babysitting Haley) the trial was always on (don't worry, she loved it too:). Looking back, this seems a little ridiculous because I could have just gotten a recap of what happened in court from the HLN people who recapped the biggest happenings from the trial every day. I could have, for example, been working on my tan!

 My final example (although there are many more) came from The Royal Wedding. Now the funny thing is that I didn't know much about the royal family (or even who Kate Middleton was) until about a month before the wedding when I saw some talk about it in People magazine. From that point on I was hooked. I watched every special there was concerning the royal family, the Middleton's, and the wedding itself (I even watched the Lifetime movie of how Kate and Wills met not once, not twice, but three times). Thankfully, my last final was the day before the wedding so I didn't have to feel bad about waking up at 3am to watch the pre-wedding coverage (side bar- I even TiVoed it, but decided that it wouldn't be the same if I didn't watch it LIVE..ya ridiculous!) and then watching the wedding coverage and then analysis of everyones thoughts of the wedding for the rest of the day. I even continued to keep up with the happenings of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge for several weeks following their nuptials!

I am glad that I have finally taken a step back to see the BIG picture and realize that the world wont end if I take a step back from my obsessions to do other things, now the million dollar question is will I remember this the next time my latest obsession rolls around. Only time will tell (did I mention that I am really good at making excuses for myself ?!;)

over and out,
kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment